[x264-devel] Re: parallising the encoder

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Wed Apr 6 14:39:10 CEST 2005

Guillaume Poirier <poirierg at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Apr 6, 2005 1:18 PM, Tom Jacobs <T.R.Jacobs at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:
>> hi all
>>
>> i am planning on parallelising the x264 encoder and would really appreciate
>> some help.  i have only briefly looked at the code (only got it yesterday)
>> but have been looking at the JM code (which i must say is a horror to read
>> with nasty global structures).
>>
>> my first thoughts about parallelising the encoder was to do it at the MB
>> level since this is what i have done for both mpeg2 and xvid.
>
> I do remember that you worked on parallelising XviD, as I followed the
> threads on xvid-devel ML.
> Is you work available anywhere?
> With the upcoming availability of dual-core CPUs, I guess more and
> more people might be interested in it...

I did some experimenting with GOP level parallelization some time ago,
the idea being to run it on a network.  I never got quite that far,
but I did get a rather nice performance boost on SMP.  The catch was
that the resulting bitstream wasn't quite correct.  That could've been
fixed, but I got involved with other projects instead.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com