[x264-devel] Re: [patch] matroska support update

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Tue Aug 9 11:01:45 CEST 2005

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Mauricio Briceno wrote:

> I'm trying to compile x264 staticaly in an Ultra60 Sparc64 machine, but I get
> this errors when at linking stage:
>
> ld: fatal: symbol `opterr' is multiply-defined:
>        (file libx264.a(getopt.o) type=OBJT; file /usr/lib/libc.a(opt_data.o)
> type=OBJT);

I think I know what's wrong: the same symbols are indeed defined in
both libc and getopt.o. Normally this doesn't matter because weak
symbols in libc get overridden by the symbols from getopt.o, but it
looks like you're trying to link x264 statically and in that case
it might not work.

Fix: link dynamically.

Or: edit extras/getopt.c line 47, and change

#define REPLACE_GETOPT

#undef REPLACE_GETOPT

(it seems like it might work too, I haven't tested).

Tell us if you get it to work and how.