[x264-devel] Re: rate control question

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Dec 6 21:25:19 CET 2005

shauli rozen wrote:
> Can any one give me some explanations on the rate control setting
> I am using the code , and need help figuring out the effect of these
> variables:
>

> rc.i_vbv_max_bitrate ;
>
> rc.i_vbv_buffer_size ;
>
> rc.f_vbv_buffer_init ;
>
> rc.f_ip_factor ;
>
> rc.f_pb_factor ;

In case nobody else gives you a better answer, here are what I assume to
be the corresponding descriptions from the mplayer man page.

vbv_maxrate=<value> (ABR or two pass)
       maximum local bitrate, in kbits/second (default: disabled)

vbv_bufsize=<value> (ABR or two pass)
       averaging period for vbv_maxrate, in kbits (default: none, must
       be specified if vbv_maxrate is enabled)

vbv_init=<0.0-1.0> (ABR or two pass)
       initial buffer occupancy, as a fraction of vbv_bufsize (default:
       0.9)

ip_factor=<value>
       quantizer factor between I- and P-frames (default: 1.4)

pb_factor=<value>
       quantizer factor between P- and B-frames (default: 1.3)

-Corey