[x264-devel] GnomeMeeting (and OpenH323)

JGJones jgjones at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:13:11 CET 2005

The reason I am posting in here about GnomeMeeting and OpenH323 is if
you go to http://www.bslvrs.co.uk - you will see RNID SignTalk - which
is a video based relay centre for sign language use in UK (there are
currently 3 systems in UK including that one).

However they all require the use of at minimum H.263 video codec (264 is
better, 263 is accepted due to use of the DLink DVC-1000 videophone
which use H.263 for video and quite a lot of Deaf people have that)

I sadly cannot use GnomeMeeting since the H.261 (which OpenH323 use at
most) does not provide a good enough video for the interpreter to
understand me during a relay session. Currently I am using the vPoint HD
client from vcon - which is a Windows only H.323 application using H.264
video.

Having dabbled in the video relay market - I was invloved in the
building of one call centre using Cisco Call Manager - I know that this
is a potentially huge market - there is a vast number of users in USA
already, and while the UK's project is first for Europe as far as I
know, but the company whom I worked for using Cisco Call Manager have
plans to expand their service by setting up same thing across Europe.

This will potentially have access to hundred of thousands if not million
of sign language users across Europe. I believe that with those people
making heavy use of video calls - which will then do the same to their
hearing friends...those hearing people (ie not deaf) might then
appericate using video phone...it's possible that use of videophone will
increase there as well...although that's an unknown!

Thus for me, it's too important to not ignore this video call issues :)

I asked in the GnomeMeeting mailing list if there was any issue against
the use of x264 with GnomeMeeting (and for OSX? via XMeeting? I do not
know if XMeeting make use of H.264 encoders that is present in OSX or
use OpenH323). I was informed that there is incompatiblity with the
licence that x264 and OpenH323 use - namely OpenH323 use MPL and x264
use GPL.

 From my understanding of the licencing it seems that x264 need to put
in a clause for OpenH323 so that they can use x264 with OpenH323? I'm
not entirely clear on that but if that is the case then I would like to
ask - would you guys consider letting OpenH323 use x264 so that they can
provide H.264 video calls which can then be used in applications such as
GnomeMeeting (and XMeeting?).

If not, may I ask if there is a reason why not against it?

Many thanks
--
JGJones

Y Ddraig Goch a ddyry Gychwyn
Cymru am byth

BSL Video-Group:

Deaf-UK Technology Wiki
http://bslvgroup.mrdini.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: 1) nerds and 2) normals.