[x264-devel] Questions about x264 encoder apis

Bill May wmay at cisco.com
Thu Mar 31 01:55:30 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm using x264 as the encoder for our mp4live live encoder for mpeg4ip.

First, I have to say that x264 is amazing work.  The interfaces are
the best that I've used with this project - by returning each nal,
you've made it very easy for me to create RTP packets and save it to
mp4 files.  The x264_encode_headers is likewise a great idea - it makes
getting the headers for SDP very simple.  I was encoding using the apis
after only a couple of hours from downloading the package.

So far, I'm not using b frames, but may do that over time.

Now, for my questions:

1). in x264_picture_alloc, you allocate the YUV space, and have the user
    copy the data into that space.  Do you alter the YUV data ?  Would it be
possible to have a mode where the caller could just set the correct data
and save potential data copies ?

I'd be glad to do the work and contribute it back (it seems to work with
the correct settings, but I need to make sure that the YUV data is
undisturbed).

2). Do you have any plans to install the library and include files so
they could be detected by other projects via configure ?

3). To force a key frame, is it better to set i_frame_reference or
i_keyint_max ?  i_frame_reference seems to do the trick, but I'd like to
  make sure.

4). I'd like to make it work as fast as possible.  So, I want to set
b_psnr to 0.  Any other things to make it faster ?

5). i_bitrate is in bits per second ?  If I use b_cbr, what should I set
the other parameters to ?

6). Any ideas about which nerd knobs would make sense (b_cabac, etc) ?

Thanks for this project - you all have done great work.

Bill May
http://www.mpeg4ip.net