[x264-devel] Re: patch: visualization for X11

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue May 17 10:12:05 CEST 2005

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005, Loren Merritt wrote:
>
>> I like the idea for displaying refs, but it gets hard to read a ref #15
>
> I thought the limit was 5 but either I remember wrong or the limit was
> removed from x264.

Used to be 15, now 16 (which is the max allowed in the spec).

>> Use only one diamond per 8x8 block, even if MVs are subdivided?
>
> Hmm... was it so that MVs in one 8x8 block had all the same reference frame?
> Nevertheless, I don't like this one so much.

Yes, the spec says that all MVs in one 8x8 block must use the same ref.
x264 currently uses the same ref for a whole macroblock in P-frames,
though they can mix in B-frames.

> Another thing that could be visualized is the QP value. Any ideas?
> I'm not sure if it varies between partitions/MBs yet in x264, but it could.

It used to vary as part of the CBR ratecontrol. I removed that when I
added ABR, because it was unnecessary at sane buffer sizes. But yes,
there are other forms of adaptive quant that could be useful.

> A question too: what would be the preferred syntax for passing
> options into the visualization module? My idea is something like:
[...]
> x264 --visualize --visualize-option zoom=3:disable-intra:...

I prefer that one.

--Loren Merritt