[x264-devel] Re: patch: visualization for X11

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ee.oulu.fi
Tue May 17 09:45:50 CEST 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Loren Merritt wrote:

> I like the idea for displaying refs, but it gets hard to read a ref #15 in a

I thought the limit was 5 but either I remember wrong or the limit was
removed from x264.

> 4x4 partition. Possibilities: collapse a few of the higher ref numbers into a
> single size?

Easy solution. Possible. Even easier: use larger zoom.

> Use only one diamond per 8x8 block, even if MVs are subdivided?

Hmm... was it so that MVs in one 8x8 block had all the same reference
frame? Nevertheless, I don't like this one so much.

> Prevent diamonds from overwriting partition boundaries and use slightly
> different color?

Hmm, maybe the diamond size should be limited and color changed at the
limit. Or maybe the diamond shape could be changed also.

I'll think about this while I'm trying to understand how reference lists
work anyway.

Another thing that could be visualized is the QP value. Any ideas?
I'm not sure if it varies between partitions/MBs yet in x264, but it could.

A question too: what would be the preferred syntax for passing
options into the visualization module? My idea is something like:

x264 --visualize --visualize-option zoom=3 --visualize-option disable-intra
--visualize-option ...

or maybe just

x264 --visualize --visualize-option zoom=3:disable-intra:...