[x264-devel] Re: [Tom Jacobs <T.R.Jacobs at lboro.ac.uk>] Re: Re: Rif: Re: JM 9.6 vs. x264 rev 228: results

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon May 23 23:50:28 CEST 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Tom Jacobs wrote:

> thanks for all your help. i have managed to make a few graphs :)
>
> i have attached 2 of the graphs (not sure if attachements work in the
> mailing list or not) showing how the multisliced implementation works.
> these 2 graphs are taken with 25frame click with 1 ref frame. the major
> difference between the sliced version seam to be at lower psnr the relative
> bitrate of the multislices are bigger. this is understandable since the rate
> control for multislice isnt that good.
>
> having said this what do people think? is it aceptable (assuming im getting
> good benifits from using my multi-prossor system)?

Ratecontrol should no longer be affected by slicing.
The only sources of bitrate increase should be:
- the slice header itself (~5 bytes each)
- MV and intra prediction can't cross slice boundaries (makes more
difference at low bitrates since it reduces the usability of P_SKIP
macroblocks.)

--Loren Merritt