[x264-devel] Re: X264 Decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Nov 10 12:51:28 CET 2005

Hi

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 05:03:42AM -0500, Stephen Henry wrote:
> I had a look at the decoder a while back, for the same reasons as
> Dimosthenis suggested, but I quickly found that the shared code between
> the encoder and decoder and since diverged quite significantly. It
> actually took quite a lot of effort just to get the decoder to compile.
> Many of the problems I was having wasn't the fact that the decoder code
> was incomplete, in actually the majority of it had already been written,
> it was the fact that because the "common" structures and functions to
> the encoder and decoder appeared to change since the decoder was last
> run. This meant that subtle bugs would creap into the decoder and would
> be quite difficult and lengthy to track down where it had gone wrong.
>
> To be honest, you might have better luck if you simply delete the
> majority of the decoder code and simply build it up from stratch. It
> would probably take  you less time overall...

and putting all the non h.264 code in ffmpeg under #ifdefs would probably
need even less time, you could also fork ffmpeg and drop all the unrelated
files but that would mean more work for maintaining the result, but likely
still less then maintaining an ffmpeg independant decoder alone

[...]
--
Michael