[x264-devel] Re: X264 Decoder

Hilton Garcia Fernandes hgfernan at lsi.usp.br
Thu Nov 10 15:13:53 CET 2005

Sorry if that's been already discussed, but i'd like to ask why to
replicate the decoder effort of the libavcodec team ?

Is it because libavcodec is too generic ?

Thanks,
Hilton

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005, Stephen Henry <Stephen.Henry at elixent.com> said:

> I had a look at the decoder a while back, for the same reasons as
> Dimosthenis suggested, but I quickly found that the shared code between
> the encoder and decoder and since diverged quite significantly. It
> actually took quite a lot of effort just to get the decoder to compile.
> Many of the problems I was having wasn't the fact that the decoder code
> was incomplete, in actually the majority of it had already been written,
> it was the fact that because the "common" structures and functions to
> the encoder and decoder appeared to change since the decoder was last
> run. This meant that subtle bugs would creap into the decoder and would
> be quite difficult and lengthy to track down where it had gone wrong.
>
> To be honest, you might have better luck if you simply delete the
> majority of the decoder code and simply build it up from stratch. It
> would probably take  you less time overall...
>
> Stephen

Hilton Garcia Fernandes
Nucleo de Tecnologias sem Fio (NTSF) -- Wireless Technologies Team
Lab de Sistemas Integraveis Tecnologico (LSI) -- Integrable Systems Lab
Escola Politecnica (Poli) -- Engineering School
Univ S Paulo (USP)
Tel: (5511)3091-5676 (work)
     (5511)8131-5213 (mobile)
Av. Prof. Luciano Gualberto,158 trav.3 CEP 05508-900
S. Paulo -- SP -- Brazil
Pagina inicial: http://www.lsi.usp.br/~hgfernan