[x264-devel] Re: non mod16 res and alternative colorspaces for x264

Czarek Kwasny gfxmaniac at tlen.pl
Mon Oct 10 15:40:25 CEST 2005

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> It's certainly possible.  It's even one of the things I've been contemplating
> doing when I get some time to spare.  If you don't want to wait, feel free
> to send a patch ;-)

Thank you very much for the response :). Unfortunately I'm not a
programmer but an animator, i simply love to dive into technical side of
the story, but stated before clearly not to learn any programming. It
would be simply too much :) for my head. Learning perspective,
proportions, color/value relations from the artistic point of view is
enough for me for next 5 years i assume :). I'd love to stick with HDTV
resolutions and mp4 container (along with h.264 and aac) for storing my
work, hence the question :). Hope you'll find some time to get the
feature to work :).

>>Also the second question: What about alternative colorspaces for High
>>Profile? x264 supports lossless coding which is great for archival
>>purposes, but it allows only YV12 as input, this makes the orginal
>>material already dostorted because of the colorspace conversion. Would
>>it be possible to make x264 support YUV 4:4:4 colorspace so the full
>>information is stored?
>

> Anything is possible.  The question is how much code needs to be changed.
> In this case I'm afraid there might be a lot of code making implicit
> assumptions about the color space.

I guess then it won't be possible in the near future to store full YUV
information in mp4 via x264.

Thank you for the response!
Keep up great work for the community I'm really impressed as an average
user!

--
Czarek Kwasny
http://gfx.artivo.pl/