[x264-devel] deinterlacing video prior to x264 conversion

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 23:46:47 CEST 2005

Hi x264 developers,

I did a search on the forum and understand that the x264 codec does not
support interlacing.  Unfortunately, my source material is interlaced and I
cannot change it.

I am trying to build a work around using mencoder to deinterlace the video
prior to conversion to H.264.

I am starting with NTSC video (from a PVR-250 at 720x480 at 16000 kbps )
MPEG2 PS w/384K MP3 audio and want to convert to H.264 at 2200 kbps.

I have built the following script to do the task and would like to confirm
if this is actually doing what I intend for it to do.  I have chosen the
"-vf pp=md" deinterlace video filter based on a google search.

for file in $*
do
  mencoder -ovc x264 -x264encopts pass=1 -nosound -o $file.x264.avi $file
  mencoder -ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=2200:pass=2:8x8dct:i8x8 -vf pp=md
-oac copy -o $file.x264.avi $file
done

The initial file is 13 seconds long and 30 MB in length it displays obvious
interlacing artifacts during high motion scenes.  The converted file is 5.6
MB long and video quality appears nearly indistinguishable from the
original.  It displays no obvious interlacing artifacts even during high
motion scenes.

I am not a video expert so I would greatly appreciate any advice as it is
not always clear to me when converting video that it is doing what I intend
for it to do.

Thank you in advance.

Andrew Lynch