[x264-devel] x264 and streaming based project creation

Rémy NOEL rnoel at altern.org
Tue Oct 18 18:24:45 CEST 2005

Hello Experts,

I'm looking for a solution to send and receive video over and from internet using the videolan x264 and streamn libs.
I'm new in this context so I've lot of question to ask :

First of all, I will explain my project :
The first aim of the application is to send, to multiple-clients, a captured video by webcam or DVCam in a first time.
The second, is that the application have to be able to receive multiple streams from other distant machines in the same "window" and/or on differents screens.
So, this is like video conferencing rooms... except that I have a strong constraint.
I have to display a received stream on a 3meters x 2meters screen from a 2Mbps internet line.
This application will have to manage video quality compared to the network traffic to always have a smooth video play.

At this point, I think it's possible but I'm not sufficiently informed to be sure.

1) Do you see any technical problems to implement this solution?
2) Have you any ideas about the load of the x264 encoder, what kind of machine is needed (RAM, CPU, ...)?
3) Is there a max resolution in the x264 encoder?

Thanks for your participation.