[x264-devel] Licensing Question

Thomas Kuglitsch tkuglits at edu.uni-klu.ac.at
Tue Oct 25 09:25:19 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I am new to H.264 and am trying to compare several video codecs as a part for
my master thesis at the University of Klagenfurt.
Therefore I have a question. Although x264 is published under the GNU General
Public License, will there be any restrictions using x264 in the future.
I'm thinking about patents because of the standarisation through MPEG and ITU.
Will the standard H.264 (and in particular your implementation of the
standard in x264) stay available for everyone without paying for it?

Thanks,
Thomas Kuglitsch