[x264-devel] Re: increasing the number of slices

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 14 19:10:29 CEST 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Tom Jacobs wrote:

> can someone point me in the direction of where the max limit to the number
> of slices the encoder will encode is located. i want to increase the number
> to, say, 32. at the moment the encoder will not error when you use a higher
> number, and will put a nal for the number of slices you enter but i dont
> think it is actually encoding with that many slices.  i produced a bitrate
> v psnr for each slice and everything above 4 came up the same which made me
> suspect the file was actually encoded with 4 slices even though 32 nal were
> present.
>
> does anyone know were abouts in the code this limit is actually located?
>
> many thanks
>
> Tom

common/common.h:202
  #define X264_SLICE_MAX 4
encoder/encoder.c:378
  h->param.i_threads = x264_clip3( h->param.i_threads, 1, X264_SLICE_MAX );

And it does not produce more nalus than slices (aside from the SPS/PPS/SEI
headers). Nothing in the encoder after x264_validate_parameters() even
knows that you asked for more slices than the max.

--Loren Merritt