[x264-devel] overscan resolved

Christian Heine sennindemokrit at gmx.net
Thu Sep 29 17:41:50 CEST 2005

Hi,

this seems to be JVT's view on overscan:

http://ftp3.itu.ch/av-arch/jvt-site/2002_10_Geneva/JVT-E109r1.doc

I want to appologize, as most of the debate could have been avoided. I
thought that the debate was about whether to use a different SAR for an
image that has specific overscan because it is a digitized analog
signal. But what we argued about was what the overscan of an image is,
and what the effects of the "overscan" process on a display actually
does. The link provided sets the term overscan straight and I admit that
I was wrong. As it is still not clear what the "overscan" process on a
display actually does, (more precisely the amount of cropping it does)
the "overscan on" setting in x264 is best avoided. ("overscan off" is
still recomended though). I't is also not possible to emulate the
"overscan"-process by adding an overscan region (18 or 9 samples) and
changing the SAR as I claimed in an earlier version of vui.txt. The new
version of vui.txt respects all these facts.

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
Christian Heine