[x264-devel] Re: tiles

Sachin Patil sachin at fastvdo.com
Fri Sep 30 17:52:43 CEST 2005

reamer-s at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> I am new to 264 so please excuse my ignorance.  Can the multi-slice or some other feature be used to segment the image into a few (perhaps six or less) non-overlapping rectangular tiles, none of which  encompass a complete scan line of the original image?  If not, is there anything to prevent me from stictching an image together from separately encoded tiles in a manner which will be transparent to most decoders?  If so, is this approach also likely to work with other MPEG-4/AVC-like formats?
>
> RS

The concept of encoding in slices and stitching together a final
bitstream is quiet frequently used in cases where a multiprocessor
system is available to improve encoding speeds. The H264 standard itself
supports the slice encoding feature very well. This approach will work
with other AVC like formats if slice level encoding is supported.
hth
SP.