[x264-devel] H.264 encoder

Panagiotis Issaris takis.issaris at uhasselt.be
Wed Feb 1 15:43:48 CET 2006

Hi x264 developers,

Our current employer recently showed a strong interest for h264. More
specifically, they want to have an LGPL implementation of an encoder
preferably integrated in ffmpeg.

x264 is using the GPL license, but I noticed a recent discussion [1] on
this mailinglist in which a request for a possible license change
was not totally rejected.

In fact, in that discussion Laurent Aimar stated that he would not
object a license change if all other developers would agree on this.

Unfortunately, only one other develop replied to that thread, stating
that he would agree only if it would imply that x264 would actually
benefit from such a license change. Meaning that it would result in
actual contributions to x264 and not just increasing its usage.

What would the other developers of x264 think about a license change?

>From our perspective, well, we just need an LGPL H.264 encoder. So
regardless of the outcome, we will have to provide an LGPL licensed
encoder. The difference would be, that instead of putting time and
effort in reinventing the wheel while writing a new implementation, we
could spent that time enhancing the existing codebase.

With friendly regards,
Takis & Jori

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.x264.devel/893