[x264-devel] Re: some more questions about time stemps

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Mon Jan 16 21:34:18 CET 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, shauli.rozen at gmail.com wrote:

> I am sorry if this seems like nagging.
> I am changing my encoding from h263 to h264 , and using x264 as the new
> encoder.
>
> when I used h263 , in the picture layer , there was a field named "Temporal
> Reference"  (TR) , I saw that some
> players looked at this field when setting the time stamp while others used
> the time stamps provided by the container.
>
> As I see it so far , there is no corresponding field in the h264 bit stream.
> In that case only the muxer can provide the time stamps.
> I am looking for a confirmation , Is it true that there is no way to inform
> the player about display time in the bit stream of h264?
> If I only provide time stamps in the muxer , will that be enough for sure?

If you provide timestamps to the muxer, the only correct thing for a
player to do is use those instead of any info in the video stream. This is
true of any format, not just h264.
If you use raw h264, then you can theoretically set timestamps using SEI
messages. But I don't know of any player that supports them.

--Loren Merritt