[x264-devel] Re: VUI timing info issue

Patrick Lefevre pat at wischip.com
Wed Jan 18 19:51:33 CET 2006

For what it's worth, this may help clear some confusion:
A player tries to adhere to time stamps (which there are none on avi but, anyways).
My fast PC (3.6GHz) and best graphics card (that I know of) ATI all-in-wonder x600 can't play back most h264 back at correct frame-rate. So 2 strategies, which are adopted by various players; either you keep duplicating frames (and the play-back time is much larger than real-time), or, you skip frames and catch up to what you should be displaying (and it's visible), or perhaps combination of the two.
For example, using mplayer, a cabac enabled stream plays in 8 mn, without cabac in 7 mn, and on the hardware decoder in 5 mn, as it should and is computed from the number of frames and frame-rate. Nero has a different strategy and tries to catch-up (with visible skip effects).
Until the graphics card guys have acceleration support (just like for dct in mpeg-2), I think this is going to be the situation on PC's.
Does this make sense?
-- Cheers. Pat at wischip.com