[x264-devel] Re: VUI timing info issue

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Wed Jan 18 20:30:23 CET 2006

"Patrick Lefevre" <pat at wischip.com> writes:

> For what it's worth, this may help clear some confusion:
> A player tries to adhere to time stamps (which there are none on avi
> but, anyways).
> My fast PC (3.6GHz) and best graphics card (that I know of) ATI
> all-in-wonder x600 can't play back most h264 back at correct
> frame-rate. So 2 strategies, which are adopted by various players;
> either you keep duplicating frames (and the play-back time is much
> larger than real-time), or, you skip frames and catch up to what you
> should be displaying (and it's visible), or perhaps combination of the
> two.

We're discussing how to set/interpret the frame rate related fields in
the H.264 bitstream.  This is unrelated to how a player deals with
being too slow to actually display frames at the correct rate.

BTW, are you talking about HD streams?  Normal resolution H.264
streams should play perfectly fine on anything faster than a 1.5GHz
P4 without any need for hardware acceleration.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com