[x264-devel] Re: Still struggling with VFR video

Tomas Carnecky tom at dbservice.com
Sun Jun 18 18:31:06 CEST 2006

bond wrote:
> just for general information: the cts/dts currently produced by svn
> x264/gpac is 100% correct

... for CFR video. But the code doesn't work for VFR videos:

First, I tried setting i_fps_num/i_fps_den to 10000/1, but then the CTS
offset will always increase and I'll eventually end up telling the
decoder to buffer 10000 frames and displaying them some 100 seconds later.
If I set num/den to the average framerate, it inevitably will happen
that offset becomes negative. I could increase the initial delay, but I
don't know how much and sooner or later I'd end up in the same situation
as in the first case.
Following Michaels rule would allow me to make sure DTS/CTS don't drift
too much, but I'd need to buffer the B frames until the next non B frame
arrives so I can set the CTS offset properly.

tom