[x264-devel] Re: Response from a vendor

Michael Kazmier mkazmier at auroras.tv
Wed Jun 21 19:29:26 CEST 2006

Hi Peter,

> Does anyone here know a little bit about compability between
> x264 and Envivio or Main Concept ?

I have two Envivio encoders (B3 Professional) in house and we routinely
test against other encoders including x264.  The vendor is partially
right about the decoder being fine-tuned for different encoders.
Primarily the differences we have seen is that each encoder vendors
implementation of encapsulation (we use MPEG2 Transport Streams not
ISMA) is slightly different and that is where the real problem lays.
There are some suttle configuration changes you can make to force IDR
frames as well (in the Envivio for example).  So you'll want to make
sure that x264 is using a similar setting.  Also, I know that until
recently (two weeks ago) the Envivio encoder produce non-compliant B
Frames and this was a major hurdle as several STB vendors setup their
STB to "work around" the problem.  For whatever reason, the industry has
  pushed the modifications to the STB vendors and not the encoder
vendors - go figure.

> I suspect the STB vendor is missing implementing some of the H.264
> elements that x264 is supporting, but still investigating.

My suggestion is make the stream as simple as possible, use VLC with
MPEG2 TS output instead of ISMA 2.0... other than that, find a new STB
vendor?

--Kaz