[x264-devel] Re: Response from a vendor

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Thu Jun 22 00:35:42 CEST 2006

Hi Michael.

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:57:17PM +0200, Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:
> [...]
>>>other than that, find a new STB
>>>vendor?
>>Anybody know of a STB vendor that has a working STB supporting H.264
>>and RTSP and RTP over RTSP ?
> buy many small&cheap PCs with tvout and whatever is needed to receive
> the streams, install linux, your favorite free multimedia player and some
> custom shell-gui-whatever, optionally replace the chassis with something
> less pc looking
> extra advantage, your customers get a nice little linux pc to play with

In theory you are right, but in reality it doesn't work that way. Tried
creating Linux STBs, but failed major in two areas. These are

   a) If I want a perfect picture, and I do, I need a TV-out, where the
      video image source has 576 lines. Most TV-outs are scaled to 576 lines
      from an internal display geometry of 800x600 or 1024x768 and that sucks.

   b) The player, when playing live Interlaced sources, as most live
      TV is, MUST get the TOP/BOTTOM-line order right and the player must
      sync its playing to TV-outs Vertical Blanking.

Top/Bottom-line order of the signal is mostly a matter of x264 supporting
interlaced source or at least being able to carry the information
across to the player/STB. As I understand it, that is still a work in
progress for the x264 ??

Now player syncing on TV-outs Vertical Blanking is a bit harder. I have once seen
a document outlining how to theoretically implement a method for a call-back for
the vertical blanking interrupt to user space player land for X11 for Xfree86, if
the hardware and its driver supports it. But most of us today uses X.org, I havn't
yet seen support for Vertical Blanking Interrupt callback under X.org. Maybe
somebody out there has more information on this ?

Kind regards

--PMM