[x264-devel] Re: Response from a vendor

Antonin Kral antonin.kral at itonis.tv
Thu Jun 22 07:51:14 CEST 2006

Hello Peter,

> >>Does anyone here know a little bit about compability between
> >>x264 and Envivio or Main Concept ?
> Yes, I have trouble getting STB vendors to fully support RTSP with
> RTP delivery (and RTP over RTSP (TCP)).

Yes, you are absolutely right. Our company ( http://www.itonis.tv ) is
working on its own VoD platform. Because we believe, that RSTP/RTP
streaming is the right approach how to deliver data to STBs, we have
developed RTSP implementation with RTP over TCP transport for Kreatel
boxes.

> AFAIK and IMHO, then as many vendors does, using RTSP to setup a
> multicasted (or unicasted UDP) MPEG-2 TS is an abomination.

RTSP is not typically used for multicast set-up, but they are using it
for unicast pretty frequently. What they have is very minimalistic RTSP,
which is able to set-up only one channel, where MPEG2-TS is expected.

> Anybody know of a STB vendor that has a working STB supporting H.264
> and RTSP and RTP over RTSP ?

Yes :) Kreatel with our RTSP elements inside.

Our company believes in OSS, and we are subvencing comunity (mainly
GStreamer so far). But we are not able to release RTSP element under
free licence because of colision with Kreatel licencing policy.

  Cheers,

      Antonin