[x264-devel] Re: Response from a vendor

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Thu Jun 22 03:04:59 CEST 2006

Hi Måns

Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Peter Maersk-Moller <peter at maersk-moller.net> writes:
>>Hi Andrea.
>>Thats right. Currently I'm unable to change the DAR (or SAR for
>>x264) on-the-fly as MPEG-2 does with a new STATE-SEQUENCE. With
>>x264, I have to restart the stream and that is a serious limitation
>>if you you are using x264 to deliver live TV as I do.

> I suppose it would be possible to enhance x264 to allow certain
> parameters to be changed at any time.  Changing SAR should be as
> simple as setting a new value in an SPS.  In the case of streaming TV
> I guess this would be done by sending a new SPS with the updated SAR.
> An IDR frame probably makes sense at those places anyway.

Changing aspect ratio on the fly is mandatory for digital TV
broadcast, so I hope so. Whether STBs and players such and VLC
can change on-the-fly aswell, is yet to be seen.

It seems like VLC can now change aspect ratio manually on the fly
without having to close and reopen the video surface. Good.
Don't know for STBs yet. MPEG-2 STBs can of course.

--PMM