[x264-devel] Re: frame sequence IB pattern only

reamer-s at Safe-mail.net reamer-s at Safe-mail.net
Fri Mar 10 22:58:44 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:17:42 +0100, "Guillaume POIRIER" <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/10/06, reamer-s at safe-mail.net <reamer-s at safe-mail.net> wrote:
> > I know this is a generic and basic question, but is it legal to generate a I-frame only H.264 video stream?  I would like a DV25/50/100-style stream supporting DD 5.1 for editing.  Should H.264 complaint decoders directly support this type stream?
>
> I believe that what you're after is called MJPEG... H.264 won't brink
> you anything, except maybe the range coder which probably can squeeze
> a bit further the size of your file.
>
> It's just a wild guess though...

I haven't found any support for NLE of MJPEG.  Also how do I include a time-code synch'd DD audio stream with MJPEG?

What MPEG-2/4/H.264 brings is application support by NLEs.  DV25/50/100 are also well supported but don't, AFAIK, offer DD audio.

R-S