[x264-devel] Re: x264 improvement

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 10 23:17:34 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Firas Al-Tahan wrote:

> Loren Merrit:
>
> Why did this stop? Is it because Apple went with Intel? Off the top of your
> head - was it optimized very well?
>
> From what I'm seeing, Core Duo Mac Mini's at 1.63GHz are getting double the
> frame rates of my Dual Processor G5 at 2.0GHz. As you can imagine - I'm not
> impressed! I can see there has been Altivec work done - but I'm not sure how
> much and how up to date it is.
>
> Where / who would I need to get in contact with to get the ball rolling
> again?

No one explicitly discontinued support or anything. It's just that none
of the current developers has a Mac.
Eric Petit wrote the altivec stuff that's there now, but he hasn't been
active in x264 lately.

I can't comment on the optimization quality of the altivec, but we have
many mmx funtions with no altivec implementations.

--Loren Merritt