[x264-devel] Re: x264 improvement

David Wolstencroft lordrpi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 02:14:08 CET 2006

No Xcode needed :)

Make sure you build x264 with ./configure --enable-debug as this will make
using shark quite a bit easier. Once you launch shark, you can either launch
x264 from within shark or attach to the running process one you have already
spawned it. I tend to do the latter since I can tweak settings as I wish in
the terminal without having to set up the target again. Hot spots change
widely with the settings used.

Don't always count on shark being helpful - data mining, especially of
alignment has proven to give the most profound results for code improvement
so far. While Alignment isn't always perfect, you'll be surprised how
consistently out of alignment it is, and I do mean by out of Alignment by an
x amount of bytes :P. There's even a nice way to handle contiguous accesses
that start at an unaligned address. Remember that the PowerPC architecture
is roughly limited by the speed of which it can do loads and stores -
requesting more loads and stores that are needed hurts performance
considerably.

Also be weary of GCC's ability or inability to correctly unroll/schedule
loops.

If you really, really want to build x264 from within XCode, your best bet is
to set up a target using an external make file. Make sure you set the x264
Makefile as the target. It may make organization of the source easier, it
may not.

Anyway, I'll see as to what I can do with the code I have.