[x264-devel] Re: Req for Guru Wisdom

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 14 00:17:09 CET 2006

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Edgar Torres wrote:

> I am outlining specs to go from Varicam tapes (tape to film production) to BD
> DVDs (to use as dailies). I got the FCP 5 and the AJ-HD1200/AJ-HD1400 deck,
> with a Firewire in between, for the input/capture, which uses Quicktime
> wrapper with DVCPRO HD codec (4:2:2 8-bit 720P24 video and 48KHz 16-bit
> audio). This codec really uses a frame size of 960x720 and frame rate of
> 59.94
>
> I want to end up burning single layer (25GB) BD-R (Blue-Ray Recordable) discs
> with H.264/AVC Hi422P level 3.1 video (max level for BD players??) (audio
> will likely be LPCM stereo 48KHz 16-bit) as 4:2:2 8-bit 720p30 or 720i60
> (whichever plays better).
>
> I wish to transcode in as few steps as possible, and with best quality
> possible. I have Mac OSX, WinXP and Linux platforms available. Are there any
> apps with x264 encoder that can do the transcoding I need??

Is there any reason you would use a framerate other than 24 if your input
is 720p24? Framerate conversion can only add stutter and waste bits.

And x264 supports only 4:2:0.

With those assumptions, I recommend MEncoder. It can decode DVCPRO, undo
whatever framerate conversion your capture imposed (telecine?), convert to
4:2:0, and encode with x264.

--Loren Merritt