[x264-devel] Re: H264 vs x264

Steven Tondeur steventondeur at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 16:10:17 CET 2006

Florian Michel wrote:
> Christophe Mutricy schrieb:
>> On Wed, Nov 22, 06 at 09:55 +0100, Florian Michel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I would like to know if there is a direct comparison of supported
>>> features of H264 and x264 available in the web.
>>>

>> It can't compare. H264 is a codec and a standard.
>> x264 is an implementation of an H264 encoder.
>>

> Ok, i know. But since x264 is an implementation of the H264-standard,
> it does not mean FGS is implemented yet.
> I could not find any information about that topic. There are many
> white-papers in the web that deal with MPEG4-FGS, but FGS is always
> mentioned in context of H264.
> So the question comes up, whether FGS is implemented in x264 at all!?
>
> I'm appreciate for any comments.
FGS is not a part of the pure, vintage H264-standard, only of the
scalable extension (called SVC).
It is not implemented in x264. In fact, no scalability at all is
present. No spatial, no CGS, no FGS, only temporal scalability _to some
extent_, as this is only a fancy way of specifying the usage of b-frames
(and hierarchical b-frames).

Steven