[x264-devel] Method to get avi in via stdin

Foxy Shadis foxyshadis at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 13 06:53:36 CEST 2006

I was thinking about this a while ago, but shelved it because I wasn't sure
how to implement, but I thought I'd ask here. How about implementing
something in muxers.c/open_file_yuv to detect an AVI (if the first four
bytes are 'RIFF' and some joker isn't passing in a wav or midi, it's
extremely unlikely to not be one), and in that case pass control to
open_file_avis instead.

What I'm unsure about is how to leave the stream in condition for
open_file_avis to read, without closing the stream. I thought about ungetc,
but I don't know how well it'd work cross-platform, or whether fseek works
on stdin. Any pointers?

The point of this is to allow ffmpeg or mencoder decoded video to be piped
into x264 without having to specify dimentions and that other good stuff.

-foxyshadis