[x264-devel] Re: patch : replace c++ comments in x264.h by c comments

Alex Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 17:32:13 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 05:36 -0600, Loren Merritt wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Vincent Torri wrote:
>
> > Here is a patch that replaces the c++ comments of x264 by c comments. It
> > allows the compilation of c programs with the -ansi option of gcc.
>
> I don't care. Anyone else want to comment on the patch?
>
> --Loren Merritt

Hello,

I'm in favor of the patch.  I normally prefer to be able to use a mix of
comment styles, but x264 seems to consistently use C comments already,
so it would be best to just stick with that.

Vincent, why use -ansi?  If you're using gcc and want
standards-compliance, you probably want -std=c99 instead.  If you're
using gcc but getting ready to switch to another strict-ansi compiler,
well, I can see that.  My personal opinion is that C90 is obsolete - use
C99, you will be much happier ;)  However consistency is more important,
and for a widely-used project like this it may be best to go with the
lowest common denominator.  Of course, for any practical use of x264 you
basically have to compile parts of it with nasm/yasm on x86, so I'm not
sure how valuable it is to be able to use non-gcc compilers, but hey ;)

For what it's worth, I just successfully compiled x264 with -std=c99 and
with icc, so I guess we're fairly standards compliant.

--Alex