[x264-devel] Preset parameter for x264

Tran Minh Son sony at mht.bme.hu
Wed Aug 29 11:20:19 CEST 2007

Dear Loren Merritt,
Thank you for your prompt answer.

Loren Merritt a écrit :
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Son Minh Tran wrote:
>

>> Concerning the condition of the comparison, I wonder how one can provide
>> the setting of x264 in order to obtain the "High Quality" / "High Speed"
>> compression. It is a complex question isn't it? We have a combination of
>> a lot of parameters thanks to the flexibility of x264, then how can we
>> choose the right/suboptimal combination in order to achieve the
>> target, and especially to in order to submit to a competition, where
>> other models of H264 can choose some settings totally difference?
>>

> Optimizing for real quality is tricky. But for a comparison that mostly
> considers objective metrics, it's easy, and just takes lots of cpu time.
> Just try all possible combinations of settings on a variety of content. Or
> if you want to spend some extra human time to save a lot of cpu time,
> elimintate a few of the insane options, and apply an iterative search on
> the remainder.

It is really a huge work. I imagine that I have to create a script to
select iteratively  the options  and then check the statistic  data of
the output  to choose the best one that fits  the given constraint. If
you already made that, could you please send me the preset for this year
and last year (if you still remember) :-)
In fact, I made a modification on the way of how one can choose the
intra mode / block size for inter mode of  macroblock to be encoded.
The original algorithm of x264 is to perform an exhaustive  search
throughout all possible modes .  You improve this full search with
b_merged_satd in the current version of x264. Based on the core of x264
(the one from the beginning of last year), I propose reusing  the mode
of the neighbour blocks to make an "early stop". As you can hint, with
that I can save time at the cost of quality. The gain seems to be more
than the lost (15-20% in time again 3-8% in PSNR). Unluckily you
improved  you code quickly (frame based multithread, check 3 modes at
the same time...), that I can not update my technique into your current
x264. And with a lot of changes in the current x264, the gain of my
technique becomes less important . But I do think that if I again apply
the proposed technique to new core of x264, again I can speed it up :-).
The comparison of MSU is an occasion for me to really verify the
performance of the proposed technique . We do not provide the full
implementation of h264 (the core is x264) but at least we would like to
see if really the fast mode decision bring some benefits in comparison
with the core of x264, from where I started. That is why I need the
presets of x264 (for the last year version) to provide the High Quality
/ High speed.
Best regards
Son TRAN