[x264-devel] Re: AW: Re: Slices in x264

Ryan Dalzell x264 at tullyroan.com
Wed Jan 17 16:19:24 CET 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 14:46, List, Peter wrote:
> > By the way, in case Peter or the rest of the list have labelled me as
> > an "anti-slice" zealot... :) I do think slices are good for all the
> > reasons
> > that well described above. Unfortunately, in H.264 there is a serious
> > problem with slices in the decoder: namely "arbitrary slice order".

> I have to admit, I can not think of any advantage of ASO although I
> think there must be some...
>
> On the other hand ASO is only part of the "Extended-Profile"
>
> And I don't believe ANYBODY has ever used it. For the common use of
> H.264 as Baseline-, Main- or High-Profile ASO is FORBIDDEN!

I'm sorry to spoil your day, but ASO is in Baseline too (according to my
spec anyway).

And yes you are quite right that nobody has ever used it. Not even the JVT
guys use it as none of the conformance bitstreams have it. I had to write a
tool to reorder slices to test it in our decoder.

Cheers,
-Ryan