[x264-devel] Fw: Re: AW: Re: Slices in x264

rambler rambler at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 17 23:46:06 CET 2007

-------Original Message-------

From: x264-devel at videolan.org
Date: 01/17/07 07:41:30
To: x264-devel at videolan.org
Subject: [x264-devel] Re: AW: Re: Slices in x264

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 12:30, List, Peter wrote:
> [...]

Errors do get smeared over slice boundaries in subsequence pictures that use
the error picture for reference. There is no clause that states that motion
vectors cannot cross slice boundaries in the picture that they are
referencing. So to force update using an intra slice in any picture after
the next one in decoding order you need to determine how much the error
could have travelled. This gets quite complicated I would imagine.

Of course, you could design the encoder to use the same fixed arrangement of
slices in every picture and not cross those slice boundaries with motion
vectors. That would make the forced update as simple as you describe. But
you would lose the ability to create slices that fit efficiently into a
single network packet and you would lose some coding efficiency, possibly
quite a lot.

Cheers,
-Ryan

4:36 PM