[x264-devel] Fw: Re: Error Concealment

rambler rambler at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 17 23:46:16 CET 2007

-------Original Message-------

From: x264-devel at videolan.org
Date: 01/17/07 06:28:43
To: x264-devel at videolan.org
Subject: [x264-devel] Re: Error Concealment

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 09:53, Awadh Bihari wrote:
> Please let me know how to detect the slice loss at the decoder side.
> It can only be detected if active sps/pps is not equal to sps/pps ?

Due to arbitrary slice order and the fact that slice headers do not tell you
how many macroblocks are in the slice (and assuming you are receiving the
video data over a network), I believe that the only way is to actually
decode each slice and count the number of macroblocks that it contributes
to a picture. Then, after a suitable period of time to allow late packets
to arrive, if you still haven't decoded all the macroblocks of a picture
then you have lost some slices.

It's not particularly pretty and in fact it is probably better to get the
network protocol (e.g. RTP) to tell you about missing packets rather than
waiting to discover them in the decoding.

Cheers,
-Ryan

4:36 PM

.