[x264-devel] Re: x264 encoding colour and brightness adjustments

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 23 01:37:18 CET 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, George Bray wrote:

> My resulting x264 files, however, seem to have less "brightness" and
> more colour saturation, when compared with the source TS.
[...]
> Can someone recommend which parameters to adjust to increase
> brightness/contrast and reduce colour. My encoding times are OK now,
> but I would be happy if they increased slightly to achieve more
> accurate renditions. I'm using single pass now, and don't really want
> to go to double pass.

First, try encoding with qp=0 (which will produce ridiculously high
bitrate). If the brightness and saturation are still wrong, then the
problem is somewhere in the display process, not in x264. Possibly
involving a mismatch in YUV formats.
If that does fix it, then I'll investigate further.

> I am currently using these VLC x264 options:
>
> sout-x264-qp=20
> sout-x264-crf=10

These control the same parameter, so you can't set both at the same time.

--Loren Merritt