[x264-devel] x264 encoding colour and brightness adjustments

George Bray georgebray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:12:59 CET 2007

I'm using x264 via VLC 0.8.6a to encode from an MPEG2-TS.  I'm really
impressed with the results, and all the tweakable settings available.

My resulting x264 files, however, seem to have less "brightness" and
more colour saturation, when compared with the source TS.

Looking for a solution, I came across some very detailed info here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-x264.html
http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/ffmpeg-x264-encoding-guide/

But much of this is incomprehensible to me.

Can someone recommend which parameters to adjust to increase
brightness/contrast and reduce colour. My encoding times are OK now,
but I would be happy if they increased slightly to achieve more
accurate renditions. I'm using single pass now, and don't really want
to go to double pass.

I am currently using these VLC x264 options:

sout-x264-subme=7
sout-x264-qp=20
sout-x264-crf=10
sout-x264-scenecut=81
sout-x264-keyint=25

All other x264 settings are the defaults, which I can list if required.

thanks a mil,

George

--
George Bray - University of Canberra, Australia