[x264-devel] Re: x246 and the Cinema Industry.

Alex Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Wed May 2 02:11:12 CEST 2007

Hi James,

Two comments here...

I have informally floated the idea of using AVC high profile for digital
cinema to various people and organizations (e.g. Kodak).  The response I
always get it basically "Yeah, JPEG2000 sucks but we're stuck with it".
AVC obviously has huge benefits, but I don't see how the industry
inertia on this can be changed... perhaps if (a) someone developed AVC
plugins (soft/hardware) for most common digital cinema systems out there
and (b) a studio (even a small one) adopted a non-JPEG2000 format
exclusively.  Possibly a big cinema chain might be a good sponsor for
this (AMC, are you listening?)  Of course the cinemas have already
invested a lot in JPEG2000 systems, so they may not be too interested in
switching.

As for actually doing the work to add more high profile stuff to x264...
there are no technical obstacles that I can see, it's pretty
straightforward but it is also a lot of work, and it probably won't
happen unless there is $$$$$ to pay for it.  A lot of x264 development
is driven by features that commercial users want and pay for.  The other
class of features that get done are those that are just so cool that
developers feel like doing them for free and/or for their own use.
Alas, 4:4:4 and 12-bit do not fall in that category, since very few
people have either compatible video sources or playback equipment or
even disk space.  Not to say they're not cool, but you can see how
people wouldn't develop it if they couldn't use it themselves.

Good luck on finding a sponsor, let me know if you do ;)

Regards,
--Alex