[x264-devel] Re: Optimizations for Cell Broadband Engine

Alex Izvorski aizvorski at gmail.com
Mon May 7 14:35:21 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 14:30 +0200, Guillaume Poirier wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> There's been several people on this mailing list wondering if there
> were any plans to write optimizations for Cell Broadband Engine, with
> not much luck since now.
> A few days ago, I've been contacted by a person working at IBM who's
> offering to give one PS3 (maybe more than one, I don't know) to
> someone who would be interested to write such optimizations.
> In case any of you is interested, please contact me, and I'll forward
> your application to this person.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Guillaume

Hello Guillaume,

Since you've done a bunch of work on Altivec optimizations, and the
instruction set of a CBE is not that different from Altivec, perhaps you
should take this one on?  I for one am curious to see what the practical
performance on a CBE is; I've done some (simulated) tests but there's
nothing like seeing it actually work.

--Alex

P.S. People without the right hardware can still hack on this if
interested: have a look at
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/cellsystemsim