[x264-devel] Re: [x264-devel] Re: [x264-devel] How to comprehend the multi-thread procedure for the stream structure “IPPP”?

alexander tian tian.alexandertian at gmail.com
Fri May 18 05:41:53 CEST 2007

Hi, Monnier

Thanks for your answer. I understand them now. I think the frame do the loop
filter after all the mbs are encoded before. But it is wrong. The x264 does
the loop filter for upper row mbs  before encoding the first mb in the row.

So you are right. It could run multi-thread if the vertical motion vector
search range is limited. The parameter "mvrange-thread" is vey important for
multi-thread. Someone can get  some references from the link:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=124557&page=2

2007/5/17, Mathieu Monnier <manao at melix.net>:

> Hi,
>
> You almost have the answer to your question :
>
> > because every P slice needs the previous frame as reference.
>
> When multithreaded, the vertical motion vector search range is limited,
> so a P frame doesn't need the complete reference frame.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mathieu
>
> --

Regards