[x264-devel] recommended settings for screencapture encoding?

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 6 06:42:02 CET 2007

On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> I am making a demo video for an application. I capture with xvidcap,
> convert the capture to 4:2:0 y4m, encode with x264, and combine it
> with aac audio with MP4Box. Everything works okay, but I was wondering
> if I could improve the video quality with settings more suitable than
> the defaults for this kind of material. It's a typical GUI interface,
> buttons, sliders, some scrolling audio waveform visualization. Any
> suggestions?

Are you sure you want to use h264? There are formats designed for screen
capture, which work much better within their domain than a general purpose
video codec does. e.g. ZMBV may be lossless at bitrates where h264 looks
merely ok. (But screen capture codecs are all(?) lossless only, so if you
need to reduce bitrate below what they give, h264 may become useful
again.)

--Loren Merritt