[x264-devel] PAFF

Fernando Pescador pescador at sec.upm.es
Thu Apr 3 19:10:06 CEST 2008

Hi Mike,
Our problem is that we are using an IP STB that have problems if we use
progressive frames (the problem is something similar to a shadows around the
figures). This problem dispear if we use PAFF to encoding the frames (we
have a HW encoder that support PAFF but not MBAFF). In other hand, if we use
MBAFF (x264 MBAFF implementation for example) the quality of the pictures is
lower than if we use PAFF.
We know that the problem is in the IP STB (other STB work fine with
processive and MBAFF sequences) but there are not technical information
about the STB and it is not possible to update the firmware.

We have test a lot of IP STBs and STBs-T (pe ADB i3800T o ClarkeTech  5000)
and some times we see the same effect with progressive frames but never with
PAFF interlaced frames.

So we want to implement PAFF in order to use these STBs.
Thanks in advance
Fernando