[x264-devel] Multislicing support

Etienne Bömcke Etienne.Bomcke at uclouvain.be
Tue Apr 22 12:18:54 CEST 2008

Hi guys,

I'd like to get your attention one last time on the topic of multi-
sliced encoding. You'll find attached to this message the patch I
developped based on Mojtaba Hossein's work, adding support for
multiple slices during the encoding process. A new command-line option
has been added (--mb-slicesize) allowing one to specify the max number
of macroblock to be encoded in each slice, while the --no-mv-inter-
slices option tell x264 to output totally independent slices, both
spatially and temporally. Last time I sent this patch, I just received
a single reaction from Jason Martens, but no real comment on the patch
itself.
Could you please take a minute and look at it? I myself did some tests
to evaluate the performance of the patched code, but as my knowledge
of the encoder is limited I can't tell for sure that the patched code
doesn't cause significant performance losses.
If I don't receive any feedback, I'll assume the patch is ready to be
included in the official version, and I'll make sure this will be done
as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Etienne