[x264-devel] Multislicing support

Etienne Bömcke etienne.bomcke at uclouvain.be
Wed Apr 23 18:07:20 CEST 2008

Ok, I just finished a batch of tests, and here are my conclusions :

1. Comparison of x264's fdec.yuv and JM output show no difference,
regardless of the size of the sequence and the parameters used (both --
mb-slicesize and --max-slicesize).

2. When forcing a large number of slice ( more than 4 showed my
tests ), the decoder isn't able to perform. It fails with the message
"free_mem2Dpel: trying to free unused memory", which leads me to
believe that the error is in the decoder code. I suppose the program
cannot handle the decoding of many slices, as x264 behaves perfectly
well during the encoding.
I just tried reading an output stream with more than 4 slices with
VLC, and although the stream is read without VLC giving an error, the
image appears only in the last seconds. I'll have to investigate this
problem further and check if the error lies in the patched code.

3. Encoding speed is reduced by up to 10% when using the patched code
to encode in one slice.

4. Output stream bitrate increases significantly regardless of which
bitrate control method is used (fixed Q or target bitrate).

The last two observations indicate that there's something messing the
rate control in the patch. I did more tests with the patch only
partially applied, and I think the problem comes from the modification
of the stats computation. I did not write this code myself, it was
Mojtaba who did. Mojtaba, could you give it a look and check if
there's no mistake in the stats computation?

I'll try to resolve the problem of the many slices, if I manage
interesting results I'll let you know.

Thank you all for your feedback,

Etienne