[x264-devel] Multislicing support

List, Peter Peter.List at t-systems.com
Thu Apr 24 10:33:13 CEST 2008

Hallo Etienne,
see my comments below:

When you say "the decoder" what decoder do you mean? Ffmpeg?
Anyways, if it seems useful for you, you can send me a *.264 file with
slices, that does not run correctly. I can feed it to my own decoder and
tell you very quickly (I hope) what's wrong with it.

> I suppose the program
> cannot handle the decoding of many slices, as x264 behaves perfectly
> well during the encoding.
> I just tried reading an output stream with more than 4 slices with
> VLC, and although the stream is read without VLC giving an error, the
> image appears only in the last seconds. I'll have to investigate this
> problem further and check if the error lies in the patched code.
>
> 3. Encoding speed is reduced by up to 10% when using the patched code
> to encode in one slice.

That is very surprising! Something MUST be broken! (with multithreading?)