[x264-devel] Multislicing support

Etienne Bömcke etienne.bomcke at uclouvain.be
Thu Apr 24 15:02:35 CEST 2008

On 24 Apr 2008, at 10:33, List, Peter wrote:

> Hallo Etienne,
> see my comments below:

I mean the reference decoder software, JM version 13.2. I attached two
files, one in high def and another in low def, both encoded with 5
slices. Attempting to decode these two files with the reference
software result in the error mentioned above, and VLC cannot read them
correctly neither.

>> I suppose the program
>> cannot handle the decoding of many slices, as x264 behaves perfectly
>> well during the encoding.
>> I just tried reading an output stream with more than 4 slices with
>> VLC, and although the stream is read without VLC giving an error, the
>> image appears only in the last seconds. I'll have to investigate this
>> problem further and check if the error lies in the patched code.
>>
>> 3. Encoding speed is reduced by up to 10% when using the patched code
>> to encode in one slice.
>
> That is very surprising! Something MUST be broken! (with
> multithreading?)

I noticed something else that I didn't mention in my last mail. When
encoding with a fixed quantization step, the average Qp given by x264
differs (5 - 8 for I- and P-slices when using the patch, 9.10 - 10.44
whith the git version).
Furthermore, encoding with more than 4 slices while using the -q
option fails with the following error message :

x264lr(288) malloc: *** mmap(size=3829432320) failed (error code=12)

There's obviously something messing up the rate control, but I can't
figure out exactly what part of the patch is reponsible for that. The
only part of the code I think could affect this would be the
statistics computation, could anyone with a better knowledge of the
rate control related code confirm?