[x264-devel] Multislicing support

Etienne Bömcke etienne.bomcke at uclouvain.be
Tue Apr 29 18:24:01 CEST 2008

There have been problems with my mail client, some of the mails I sent
did not got through to the mailing list, resulting in a more than
confused situation...
The patch doesn't break rate-control, I did a few tests with clean
versions of patched and unpatched code and everything went fine.
As for the memory crash, I'm pretty sure it occurs when x264_realloc
function uses its own code instead of just calling realloc. On my
system, it doesn't detect that I have the malloc.h helper file, so it
tries to execute it's own implementation of realloc which is causing
the crash.
So, the question is : do I have to define HAVE_MALLOC_H myself in
x264's code in order for x264_realloc to call realloc? If yes, then
everything's fine as the patched code should run flawlessly under any
system having malloc.h, which I believe is available on any modern
system, but again I'm guessing here so if I'm wrong feel free to
correct me.

Regards,

Etienne

On 29 Apr 2008, at 17:47, Mojtaba Hosseini wrote:

> >On 25/04/08 9:58 AM, "Etienne Bömcke" <etienne.bomcke at uclouvain.be>
> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I was wondering why I didn't get any feedback to my last mails on
> this subject, but after a small
> > investigation I found out that due to a human error (hem) I was
> sending these mails to myself
> > instead of the x264 mailing list.
>
> Etienne, I tested your patch as follows: I started with a
> predetermined YUV sequence of 1920x1080 YUV
> Images. I encoded this sequence with clean (non-patched) version of
> x264 with 1,4,6 threads. I did the
> Test with ABR of 2Mbps and another time with CQP=25 and stored the
> resulting binary stream(TEST1).
> Then I applied your patch and redid the test but with no slice size
> threshold or slice mb threshold (TEST2)
> Then I redid the test with size threshold of 1300 (TEST3)
> Then I redid the test with mb threshold of 120 (68 slices per frame)
> (TEST4)
> The binaries between TEST1 and TEST2 are the same size => the patch
> does not break anything if disabled
> The binaries from TEST3 and TEST4 are slightly (<2%) greater in size
> than those in TEST1. This is expected
> Because each slice needs headers => more bits
> I did NOT see the memory crash you mentioned with and without –qp
> option (or CQP).
> All binary streams were playable with no error using ffmpeg h264
> decoder.
> So the patch seems fine and I don’t understand why you are observing
> problems. You’ll have to provide
> More detail on why you think:
> (a) patch affects rate control
> (b) patch breaks with –qp option