[x264-devel] Multislicing support

Mojtaba Hosseini mojtaba.hosseini at wesleyclover.com
Tue Apr 29 17:47:54 CEST 2008

>On 25/04/08 9:58 AM, "Etienne Bömcke" <etienne.bomcke at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>Hi,
>I was wondering why I didn't get any feedback to my last mails on this subject,
but after a small
> investigation I found out that due to a human error (hem) I was sending these
mails to myself
> instead of the x264 mailing list.

Etienne, I tested your patch as follows: I started with a predetermined YUV
sequence of 1920x1080 YUV
Images. I encoded this sequence with clean (non-patched) version of x264
with 1,4,6 threads. I did the
Test with ABR of 2Mbps and another time with CQP=25 and stored the resulting
binary stream(TEST1).
Then I applied your patch and redid the test but with no slice size
threshold or slice mb threshold (TEST2)
Then I redid the test with size threshold of 1300 (TEST3)
Then I redid the test with mb threshold of 120 (68 slices per frame) (TEST4)
The binaries between TEST1 and TEST2 are the same size => the patch does not
break anything if disabled
The binaries from TEST3 and TEST4 are slightly (<2%) greater in size than
those in TEST1. This is expected
Because each slice needs headers => more bits
I did NOT see the memory crash you mentioned with and without ­qp option (or
CQP).
All binary streams were playable with no error using ffmpeg h264 decoder.
So the patch seems fine and I don¹t understand why you are observing
problems. You¹ll have to provide
More detail on why you think:
(a) patch affects rate control
(b) patch breaks with ­qp option